Monday, May 30, 2011

It's A Wrap!

It's the moment you've all been waiting for!!!


*Drum roll*


It's the one!


*Faster drum roll*


The only!


*Super fast drum roll*


RATATOUILLE FINALE!!!!!! 


*Lots of clapping and cheering and whistling and hooping and hollering, et cetera et cetera*


Yes, it's true ladies and gentlemen! Finally, you will see the final product that has been on your hearts and minds for so long now!




But first, I gotta do it step by step before showing you the end (; And the final product included cupcakes and cakepops, so hang in there, because we'll get around to it.

Just kidding.

Here you go (:


It looks pretty sweet (: It got a LOT of compliments at the party, which made me happy (:



Wrapping things up was fairly simple. All I had to do was make the picnic mat, the menu, and put borders around the cakes.

Starting off with the mat, first I cut up a lot of red and white squares (2x2). I arranged the red squares on the mat (see how it has measurements on it to help me out? It's awesome :D), leaving space for the white squares. 


Then I arranged the white squares inside the red squares


Then to make it one piece of fondant instead of a lot of individual squares, I rolled it together. Now this was a doozy. I forgot to put some shortening on the mat so it wouldn't stick. So after rolling it, it took me forever and a lot of help from my mom to get the picnic towel off of the mat and onto the board. My recommendation? If you're gonna make a mat this way, go ahead and do it straight on the board.


The final towel still looked sort of nice though. But it had a lot of imperfections which I later covered up with veggies. The next step was giving the cakes a border. I didn't take any good pictures of that, but here's a picture at an angle that you can see the borders from.


The pot's border was time consuming, but it looked good. Initially I wanted to make it flames, but I decided that I didn't want to go through the trouble, so I did my favorite shell border, multi-colored. Then the cheese's border was just the Tip 3 all the way around.

Next was the menu. I cut out a rectangle* from a dark color, then I made a border for it using an orange-y copper color.


Then all I had to do was write on it and I went with the tiny jagged end roller that I used on the cake purse  to create a border. It looked pretty cool and it saved the cakes from any writing**

Remy and the veggies were already ready, so the rest was really just a matter of arrangement. The main focus was covering all of the imperfections on the picnic mat. So first Remy got placed in between the two cakes


Then the veggies just got tossed around conveniently wherever there was an oopsie.


Some of course where just placed wherever for aesthetics.


Veggies all over the place!


I think in the end, it looked quite nice


What do you guys think? (:


I always love to hear some feedback (:




*Can you tell that it's the same fondant that made Remy?
**I hate writing on a perfectly good cake. It just ruins it. Some cakes need writing, cause they're made that way, but pretty sculpted cakes or cakes that are meant to be something (like a cheese or a giant pot) shouldn't have writing -_-

4 comments: