Saturday, April 30, 2011

Who Cut The Cheese???

Yes, this is another Ratatouille post. Because after all, we all know that mice and rats love cheese! And so do the Parisians, and the movie is set in Paris. So it's only logical that we have a cheese cake in our Ratatouille ensemble!


And by cheese cake I mean a cake that looks like cheese, not an actual cheesecake. I have yet to learn how to make those. Hmm... Maybe that'll be the next learning project on my list*

This cake was made using a normal 9 inch round pan. Then I froze the cake, as is the norm, then after it thawed I cut it in a cheese shape and iced that Swiss-erooni.
Then I covered it up in some cheesy fondant and got this lovely guy:


Up until this step, all cakes tend to be the same, with a few differences, including flavor, filling, shape, and size. The steps are: bake, cool down, freeze, thaw, ice (or ganache), cover with fondant (or apply top layer of buttercream) and voila, you have the first step of the cake and you are ready to decorate, which tends to be the hard part. But our lovely little cheese cake here was nicer to us than that. The hardest part was putting fondant all the way around on such an interestingly shaped cake.

Why was the decoration of this cake so easy you ask? Well, because all i had to do was poke some holes.


That cool little green thing right there is what I call a ball tool. It's very useful to make flowers** and holes. So, I used that little baller to poke my cheese (:


So after enjoying myself far too much***, I had this beautiful block of cheese! For a finalizing touch, I put on a wooden cutting board. Yes, I do know that cheese normally doesn't go on cutting boards, but usually rats don't cook either, so take that =P

And of course, the wooden board was cling wrapped to protect the cake (:


Making cheese cake was by far the easiest part of our Ratatouille ensemble, which made me very happy, since the rest of it was so challenging. Not that I don't love a challenge, but I can only take so many challenges in one cake. Arms falling, mats peeling****, coloring brown fondant, arms falling, eyes, hands, feet, arms falling, tails, handles, veggies, arms falling, et cetera et cetera. So the cheese cake was a nice easy deviation from the difficulties of Remy's life.

So here's the cheese cake on the final piece.


Just a little taste to keep you going (;
So come back later to enjoy the Ratatouille finale!




*Which is pretty long, so don't hold your breath for that post.
**I'll explain later.
***Who would have known that poking a cake is that much fun when there's no chocolate icing?
****You'll find out on the next Ratatouille post (;

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial and even better cake! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete